Sunday, March 7, 2010

A beautiful Sunday

Today was lovely :)

Went to church this morning and felt so at home. Abraham and I had been thinking of finding a church closer to home (our church is currently 30 mins away), however we came to the conclusion that we could never leave :) It’s too much of a family; its home.

The message this morning was by Jo Brown, a missionary in Indonesia for the past 8 and a half years. She was actually Abrahams Grade 6 teacher (and remembered him!)

She spoke of her work with the Muslim people and her work in Bible Translation. She then challenged us – “Is your vision big enough?”

She spoke of running the race, of perseverance, of trusting God despite it all. She spoke of being open to what God could do in your life and the things that are holding you back.

Somehow, her slide show of images from Indonesia struck a chord in my heart. If any of you know me, I have studied Indonesian since Primary school right up to University level. I have let my speaking lapse a little, but its still there somewhere! I dreamt that I could work among these people as a translator. I dreamt that my whole family where there ministering to the Indonesian people. I dreamt that God was preparing me for something more. Why was I at Bible College? To become a chaplain? Or something beyond that?

It scared the pants off me! Again, if you know me, those dreams wouldn't have even entered my mind 3 months ago! Where have they come from? Where has this burning in my heart come from? Immediately when I saw the visions of myself working amongst the people in Indonesia, I dismissed the idea! I said, “No way God, you are not sending me there to do that! You know me, I wouldn't cope! I cant do it, I’m not strong enough!”

I felt like God was saying that the future is different. That I will be changed. That I will step out. That He will be there every step.

At the moment, these are just dreams. Just glimpses God has given me of what He might have in store for me. Chaplaincy and teaching are still on my heart – they are my passion. I know that I need to be open to Gods leading and allow Him to direct my paths. I need to trust Him fully, and boy that is a hard thing to do!

Phew, okay so apart from church today, we all ventured to the Home and Garden expo at the waterfront this afternoon. Was lovely to walk around in the sunshine and Bella even went into the petting zoo and had up close and personal encounters with goats, ducks, chickens, pigs, dogs, horses and sheep! She loved it!

So there you have it, a beautiful Sunday. And even more special is that Abraham has tomorrow off! Some special friends are coming over for a visit tomorrow too :)

3 comments:

Ali said...

Thats awesome Naomi!!! :) :) I'll be praying that you will know Gods leading :)

Ausjenny said...

wow that would be cool. we have a couple from here who are teaching in Indonesia as missionaries. He use to teach Indonesian at schools and then the family went to Indonesia as teachers and have 3 kids I think they have been there around 15 - 20 years.

Unknown said...

Oh How precious to see God putting His desires into your heart! He really does love you Naomi! :-)

Post a Comment